Sunday, June 15, 2008

Writing to NTFS drive on Mac (Leopard)

Leopard allows direct reading of NTFS drive but not writing to it. I could write to my Vista Boot Camp drive (NTFS) while running Leopard by use of Parallels Desktop. However, this is slow and inconvenient if one wants to write to many files and folders. It would be nice to directly write to the NTFS drive without the speed lag and running Parallels. As usual, I did my homework using Google and found out that there are two easy ways of solving this problem:

1) Pay USD39.95 to purchase Paragon (http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/). Easy to setup, configure and fast read/write. A 10 day free trial is available, which I highly recommend to anyone thinking of buying this product.

2) Learn how to setup the free NTFS-3G by use of Macfuse.

The you tube video below nicely summarizes how to install and setup NTFS-3G and Macfuse on Leopard.

No comments: