Monday, June 30, 2008

Do not install BootCamp update 2.1

Yes, that is right, do not install BootCamp update 2.1 for Vista (i am not sure if the XP version causes the same problem), which provides Apple hardware drivers, unless you want to have an intermittent problem of keyboard and mouse freeze/hang. I learned it the hardway. This problem was not there with BootCamp 2.0, which came preloaded with the OS X Leopard CD. However, uninstalling BootCamp 2.1 and reinstalling BootCamp 2.0 did not fix the problem, but I think it reduced the frequency of the hangs. I guess there is something that is installed by BootCamp 2.1 that does not get removed and overwritten by BootCamp 2.0. Searching for a solution on this over the net went in vain. It seems that I have no choice but to wait for Apple to solve this problem, hopefully in their next BootCamp update 2.2. Despite the significant updates in 2.1, I think I am better off with 2.0 for now, largely due to the less frequent hangs, and I don't think I have the courage to go through another round of "reformatting and reinstalling Vista" in order to install BootCamp 2.0 on a fresh Windows install.

No comments: