Sunday, June 29, 2008

Mac equivalent of Windows create "New" MS Office Document

For many days, I have been searching online for a way to quickly create new MS Office documents directly in the working folder that I am in, without the need to click on the MS Office application icon, whether on the dock or in the applications folder. In Windows, this is achevied easily by just right-clicking in the working directory, click on the "New" menu and then select the MS Office document to be created from the list of options that pop-up. Having no luck on the net, I tried to experiment using Automator to create a workflow/plug-in that can help me do this in Leopard. Since, I was no longer new to Automator, it was easy for me to navigate through the program, and after few trial and errors I managed to create a plug-in that creates new MS Office document quickly and gives me the option to save it into the working directory. Below is a snapshot of the workflow that I used for MS Word:



Saved the workflow as a plug-in for Finder (File -->Save as Plug-in).



Now, to create a new MS Word document, I just need to right click in the working directory, go to the Automator menu, and then select the sub-menu "New Microsoft Office Word Document".



The same method can be repeated for other MS Office programs such as Excel and PowerPoint. However, this method is not as good as that of Windows because after the MS Office program is opened, the user needs to browse to the working directory where it is to be saved. Nevertheless, I am happy with this for the time being until I come across or figure out how to make it function like that of Windows.

No comments: