Tuesday, June 17, 2008

MS Office 2007 Crash Error on Windows

When I was working with Word docs on the stand alone Vista using Boot Camp, I occasionally got the error message "Word has stopped working", followed by the following message:

"Word cannot open the file ~WRS(25A9155-508F-4C19-8D8A-A2DFAF672C8C). If the file is stored on your computer there may be a problem with your hardware. If the file is stored on the network there may be a problem with the network connection. If you can copy the file, try saving the file in another location and opening it there."

I tried many things to solve this, like uninstalling and reinstalling office 2007, but no use. I did Google search and luckily came across a forum thread that addressed the exact issue.

It turned out that the problem was related to my home HP printer driver installed on the computer using the CD provided by the manufacturer. The problem was resolved after installing the latest driver from the HP website. Installing the latest driver from the HP website may not work for some HP printers. In such cases, I learned that using the default printer driver provided by Vista seems to solve the problem.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

ASif,

I was on the phone with Dell for 4 hours the other day trying to deal with this same issue with my brand new XPS 420 PC and they then sent me to your blog. They had me uninstall my HP printer and then reinstall directly from the HP site, but it still doesn't work. Dell then said there probably wasn't a fix yet for my specific printer and to contact HP. I thought I would try you first...I have a HP Photosmart C5280 All-in-One printer...do you have any other suggestions? Any help would be appreciated!!

Asif M. Khan said...

Dear Carrie,

If installing the latest driver for your printer model from the HP website did not help, I think it is best that you highlight the problem to HP and request for a patch to fix it. Alternatively, you could try uninstalling the installed printer driver from HP and using the default one provided by Vista/XP (after uninstalling the driver, restart the computer, let Vista/XP detect the printer and install the default driver). This, however, may not work

i) if Vista/XP does not have the driver for your printer model
ii) if the uninstall process did not delete everything installed previously from the HP website or the CD that came with the printer

You can try the alternative solution, but if it also does not work, I suggest you contact HP right away!

You may want to take note of the following points:

1) I know some friends who have learned to live with the crash, because apart from the regular annoying crashes, it does not seem to cause any known harm

2) You can reduce the frequency of the crash, if you close your Office documents using "File"-->"Close", instead of clicking the close (X) button on the right-hand corner of the Office document window.

It saddens me to know that HP has still not addressed this long outstanding problem for all their printer models. I hope they rectify this soon.

Good luck Carrie!

Regards,
Asif Khan

Anonymous said...

Wow! I am at work and I am having this problem. So what you say? Well, I have 5 network printers that are HP!! Would you happen to know if the following printers have a fix for them.

1) HP LaserJet 4600
2) HP LaserJet 4050
3) HP LaserJet 4200
4) HP LaserJet 4500
5) HP LaserJet 1000

Thanks for your help.
kintaro

Asif M. Khan said...

Hi Kintaro,

I am sorry to say that I am not sure whether those printers have a fix or not. Have you tried downloading and installing their latest drivers from the web?

Regards,
Asif Khan

Unknown said...

Hi Asif, I am not sure if it is relevant or not but I am facing Word 2007 Crash too.

I am using Windows XP Pro and Office 2007 Standard (Both Licensed) at home. Today I downloaded a 2003 document from Yahoo mail and when I opened that document, it stays there for 2-5 seconds and then crashes. Sending a automatic report to Microsoft did not help.

I faced the same problem with a different document I downloaded today from a different source.

I tried to open them at my office workstation (Win XP Pro/Office 2007) and faced the same problem.

This problem doesn't occur when I open older files. It seems it started today. Also, even in office, it is happening in my workstation only. All files opening properly in other workstations.

Any suggestion?

Thanks
Partha