Sunday, June 15, 2008

What Thomas Edison Can Teach You About Science

Today I came across an interesting article at Problogger about what Thomas Edison can teach us about blogging . Thomas Edison was, undoubtedly, one of those inventors that left an ever-lasting legacy, with world changing technologies, such as the light bulb, phonograph and the motion picture camera. I felt that the quotes mentioned in the article were also relevant to science and since they were really motivating, I am going to list them below for my future references, whenever my creative juices, motivations, or perseverance for doing science is drying up.

1.Start with a Need

“I never perfected an invention that I did not think about in terms of the service it might give others… I find out what the world needs, then I proceed to invent.”

2. Work Smart

“Being busy does not always mean real work. The object of all work is production or accomplishment and to either of these ends there must be forethought, system, planning, intelligence, and honest purpose, as well as perspiration. Seeming to do is not doing.”

3. Work and Wait

“Everything comes to him who hustles while he waits. “

4. It Takes Work

“Genius is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration. “

5. Failing Takes You Closer to Succeeding

“I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work. “

6. You are Capable of Astounding Things!

“If we did all the things we are capable of, we would literally astound ourselves. “

7. Sometimes Failing is The Start of Success

“Just because something doesn’t do what you planned it to do doesn’t mean it’s useless. “

8. Don’t Give Up Too Early

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.”

9. Make it Fun

“I never did a day’s work in my life. It was all fun.”

10. Have Lots of Ideas

“To have a great idea, have a lot of them.”

11. You Don’t Have to Start with the Finished Product

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk.”

No comments: